Scimitar Equity, LLC is an independent equity research firm focused on providing value-added intelligence and insightful investment conclusions on emerging companies demonstrating real progress toward their vision while meeting quarterly expectation.
RegMed sector, stocks swing 2 steps forward, 1 step to the side and 1 step back
End of Day, Cause and Effect
RegMed stocks were modestly unchanged but, listless on Thursday, finding little impetus for trading. Breadth continues – barely POSITIVE – with universe losers (16) following gainers (17) following with flats (4).The CBOE volatility index finished just shy of 14.
Still, the beneficial “January effect” that originally had the NASDAQ rising 4% in January. Lot of help that gave to the … RegMed sector but, all take all inputs. Although … quarterly earnings reports have not started, a bearish case for the economy seems to be building, with key data coming in softer than expected.
The RegMed sector is … a stumbling recovery. It’s getting better but it’s going to be 2 steps forward, 1 step to the side and 1 step back.
Who is up at the close?
- Aastrom (ASTM) +$0.01),
- Athersys (ATHX +$0.21),
- Bioheart (PINK: BHRT +$0.0005),
- BioLife Solutions (OTC: BLFS +$0.03),
- BioMimetic (BMTI +$0.30),
- Biorestorative (PINK: BRTX +$0.0018),
- Cytomedix (OTC: CMXI +$0.009),
- Cryo-cell (OTC: CCEL +$0.13),
- Geron (GERN +$0.11),
- ImmunoCellular (NYSE MKE: IMUC +$0.10),
- International Stem Cell (OTC: ISCO +$0.039),
- MiMedx (PINK: MDXG +$0.01),
- NeoStem (NYSE MKT: NBS +$0.025),
- Opexa (OPXA +$0.03),
- Shire (SHPG +$0.03),
- VistaGen (VSTA +$0.005),
- Wright-Medical (WMGI +$031).
Closing Bell: The NASDAQ closed DOWN 0.18 (-0.01%) to 3,142.13 while the DOW is also DOWN -49.84 (-0.36%) to 13,860.58.
Indicators … some of my favorites at the close:
- Aastrom (ASTM) closed UP … +$0.01 <0.75%> with large 367.5 K share volume at $1.34;
- BioLife Solutions (OTC: BLFS) closed UP … +$0.03 (from $0.08) <+12%> on large 25.07 K share volume at $0.28;
- Cytomedix (OTC: CMXI) closed UP … +$0.01 <+1.41%> on moderate 47 K shares to $0.72;
- Medistem (PINK: MEDS) closed DOWN… -$0.23 <18.7%> on 10.5 K shares to $1.00;
- NeoStem (NYSE MKT: NBS) closed UP … +$0.03 <+3.91%> on volume returning of 1.373 M shares to $0.63.
Register here to be notified of future Scimitar Equity articles.