Lithium Americas is developing one of the world's largest and lowest cost lithium operations. The Company has defined the world's third largest lithium brine resource, and a completed definitive Feasibility Study identified that Lithium Americas' operating cost per tonne of lithium carbonate is expected to be one of the lowest in the industry. Mitsubishi Corporation and Magna International are shareholders in the Company, in addition to both companies having off-take arrangements with Lithium Americas.
19/01/2011Lithium Americas One2One Investors Presentation - January 18th 2011
Presentations & Company Media
25/11/2010Corporate Report (Presentation)
Related Research & Media
No documents available.
Lithium Americas Corp. (TSE: LAC) is a company focused on the development of lithium and potash projects in Argentina. The company has completed an extensive 53 hole exploration drilling program - identifying the 3rd largest lithium brine deposit in the world. Now in the development phase, a preliminary economic assessment is targeted for Q1 2011. With the electrification of the automobile using lithium ion battery technology well underway, the company is in an enviable position having Magna International and Mitsubishi Corporation as equity shareholders in the company, in addition to both having off-take arrangements with Lithium Americas.
The Company’s main propertyhosts the 3rd largest lithium brine resource in the world. As the resource estimate was based on exploration results obtained from only approximately one-third of the main property, with all drill holes still open at depth, there is the potential to significantly increase the size of the resource estimate in the future.
The Company’s main property is located in the heart of the Puna Plateau, the area where over 80% of the world’s lithium brine reserves are located. The property (approximately 82,500 ha) comprises a significant portion of two adjacent salt lakes, Cauchari and Olaroz, located in Jujuy, Argentina. The property is located approximately 200 km east of the largest lithium producing salt lake in the world (Salar de Atacama in Chile, where current lithium producers SQM and Rockwood Lithium have operations), and approximately 200 km north of the second largest lithium producing salt lake in the world (Salar del Hombre Muerto in Argentina, where current lithium producer FMC has operations).
The Company’s project is also surrounded by excellent infrastructure and logistics, key elements which have been instrumental in keeping the project’s operating costs very low. From a transportation perspective, the project is located on a paved highway which connects Argentina to Chile. The project is in very close proximity to the Chilean port facility of Antofagasta - the deep sea port approximately 550 km away, from where the final lithium product will be shipped to end customers. From an energy perspective, the project is optimally located – only approximately 50 km away from a natural gas pipeline. As energy is one of the largest cost elements in lithium carbonate production, access to this inexpensive energy source is a significant benefit to the Company.
A definitive Feasibility Study (FS) has been completed on this project by the independent engineering firm ARA WorleyParsons (ARAWP). ARAWP has a significant amount of experience in lithium brine processing, having designed and participated in building the world’s largest and lowest cost lithium brine processing facility in Chile. The FS concludes that the Company’s lithium project has favourable economic potential. The FS’s base case NPV, assuming an 8% discount rate, is US$738 million pre-tax, and US$464 million post-tax. Lithium Americas expects to achieve significant upside on the FS financial results through the execution of its business plan to build Stage 2 of the project. Revenue generation from Stage 2 production is expected to commence in 2020, and is expected to be approximately equal to Stage 1.
Waldo A. Perez, Ph.D. Geo : President, CEO, Director
- Dr. Perez has 24 years of academic and industry experience in mineral exploration in South America
- Has directed project generation for Barrick Gold Corp and IAMGold Inc., throughout South America, including Peru, Chile, Paraguay and, more extensively, Argentina
- Previously Senior Vice President of Exploration and Interim President, CEO and Director of Latin American Minerals Inc.
Michael Cosic, MBA, CFA: CFO
- Mr. Cosic is a strategic executive with 17 years of experience in a variety of industries
- Prior to joining Lithium Americas, Mr. Cosic was Vice President, Business Development for a publicly traded multinational business outsourcing solutions company
- He has considerable experience in evaluating, structuring, managing and executing global transactions
W. Thomas Hodgson, MBA (Executive Chairman)
- Mr. Hodgson is an independent financial consultant and Chairman of Greenbrook Capital Partners Inc.
- Mr. Hodgson has previously served as a consultant and advisor to the Chairman of Magna International, one of the world’s largest automotive suppliers
- Also previously served as a consultant to, and as President and CEO of, Magna Entertainment Corp, and as a Director of MI Developments Inc.
Hugo Barrientos, Civil Eng. - Engineer Project Manager
- Mr. Barrientos is an experienced engineer with over 20 years of experience working for major multinational companies.
- He was previously a Chief Project Engineer at SQM, the world’s largest producer of lithium. He was responsible for leading engineering and construction projects that develop on Lithium Carbonate and Lithium Hydroxide Facilities, located in the Salar del Carmen, as well as in Potassium Chloride Facilities, located in the Salar de Atacama, both in Chile.
- Project Engineer for Unilever Chile. Programmer and Cost Control Engineer for Sigdo Koppers SA.
- Graduate studies in Projects Management, accredited by Association of PM in UK and Diplomate in Management at the University of Chile.
David D’Onofrio, CA
- Mr. D’Onofrio is a chartered accountant who is currently the CFO at PowerOne, a merchant bank in Toronto, Ontario
- Mr. D’Onofrio is also a member of the Institute of Corporate Directors and continues to act as a Corporate Director to several publicly listed companies
John Kanellitsas, MBA
- Mr. Kanellitsas is the Chief Operating Officer of Geologic Resource Partners, an investment manager focusing on global mining and metals resource industries
- John has worked in financial markets and asset management for over two decades with positions at prominent investment banks and money management firms in San Francisco, New York and Sun Valley, ID. He has been a director of numerous private and public companies and currently also serves as a director of Kiska Metals Corporation
- He has a Masters of Business Administration from University of California at Los Angeles and a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State University
Douglas Reeson, MBA
- Mr. Reeson is an independent financial consultant and business executive with experience as an officer and director of a number of junior public companies
- Currently a Director to several publicly listed companies
- Previously the Executive Director of Listings for the Toronto Stock Exchange, Vice-President and Director of Davidson Partners, Midland Doherty and Yorkton Securities
Franco Mignacco, MBA
- President of Grupo Minero Los Boros, a company extracting Boron from the salt lakes in Argentina
- Proxy (Argentinian legal representative) of Magna Construcciones SRL our local strategic partner and a construction company that has recently built the ADY Lithium mine in Salar del Rincon, Salta Province, Argentina.
Constantine Karayannopoulos, BASc, MASc, PEng - Vice Chair of Board of Directors of Molycorp.Inc
- Former President, CEO, and Director of Neo Material Technologies Inc
- Mr.Karayannopoulos is a Director of the Canada China Business Council and a member of the Board of Advisors to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry at the University of Toronto.
- Mr. Pirie is an accomplished mining executive with over 29 years of experience in exploration and production companies.
- He was previously the President and Chief Executive Officer of Breakwater Resources Ltd. and prior to that, he held a series of progressively more senior positions during a distinguished 20 year career at Placer Dome Inc., including Chief Financial Officer, and President and Chief Executive Officer of Placer Dome Canada, and Executive Vice President of Placer Dome Inc.
- Mr. Pirie also has extensive board of director experience having served on a number of boards, including the Mining Association of Canada. Among other roles, he is currently the President and CEO of San Gold Corporation.
357 Bay St.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5H 2T7
Ricardo Videla 8046
La Puntilla Lujan de Cuyo - Mendoza CP 5505
No info available.