Big Picture – A Deep Dive Examination of the Cosmos Holdings Inc
Cosmos Holdings Inc Snapshot
Our strategy begins with the optimization and growth of our pharmaceutical sourcing and distribution businesses. We believe we are well-positioned in size and market breadth to continue to grow our trading businesses as we invest to improve our operating and capital efficiencies. Sourcing and distribution, including specialty pharmaceuticals, anchors our growth and position in the pharmaceutical supply channel as we provide superior services and deliver value-added products, which improve the efficiency and competitiveness of healthcare providers, thus allowing the pharmaceutical supply channel to better deliver healthcare to patients.
Specific areas of management's focus include:
- Branded Pharmaceuticals: Branded pharmaceutical products are the primary product category that we import and export. We constantly evaluate product availability, pricing, demand trends, and patent expirations to maximize our performance. As the patents for branded products near expiration, the generic equivalents enter the market place and the demand for those branded products start to decrease. We monitor these cycles closely and always look to find value in pricing fluctuations caused by the patent expirations as the generic equivalents enter the market.
- Generic Pharmaceuticals: Generic pharmaceutical products are the secondary product category that we import and export. We apply the same discipline to generics that we do to the branded. We evaluate the demand and supply dynamics of branded products as their patents expire. This insight sheds light on the demand of generic products that take their place. Understanding the historical and market specific characteristics of generic product demand provides insight that we use to give guidance to our vendors that source our generic drug exports.
- Health Products & Food Supplements: The wholesale distribution of food supplements offer greater margins than pharmaceutical product distribution. We are always looking to expand the portfolio of products that we distribute to maximize our margins. We also convenience or customers by providing them a larger portfolio of products that they can source from a single vendor. In addition to being wholesalers for supplements and related products we are also creating our own brand of products to sell to our current customer base. Our wholesale business gives insight to what products are in demand and we communicate with our customer base to identify which products to develop. Our own brand of products would carry significantly higher margins than simply serving as a wholesaler for other brands.
- Research & Development: We are committed to strategic R&D across each business unit with a particular focus for nutraceutical products with inherently lower risk profiles and clearly defined regulatory pathways. We are constantly evaluating the demand of food supplements in the markets that we currently distribute pharmaceutical products to. This research and analysis determines which food and nutritional supplements we choose to develop as well as their formulations. This approach maximizes the probability of successfully competing with other brands in the marketplace.
- Acquisitions: We regularly evaluate acquisition targets that would allow us to expand our distribution reach and/or vertically integrate into the supply chain of the products that we currently distribute. In addition to focusing on organic growth drivers, we are also actively pursuing accretive acquisitions that offer long-term revenue growth, margin expansion through synergies, and the ability to maintain a flexible capital structure.
- Cannabis derived products: We closely monitor the legal framework for prescription and non-prescription derivates of cannabis products as it develops in Europe. As the legal framework and processes are developed and implemented in each respective EU country, we will utilize our existing network to distribute both prescription and non-prescription derivates of cannabis products to our current customer base. We currently intend to only distribute prescription and non-prescription derivates of cannabis products to approved EU countries and not in the US.
- Local & Direct to Pharmacy Wholesale: We are expanding into the full-line wholesale distribution business through acquisition. Full-line pharmaceutical wholesalers provide the local markets with branded pharmaceuticals, generic pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter (OTC) medicines, vitamins and food supplements. By expanding our pharmaceutical distribution business, we will have a better ability to source more branded and generic products directly from manufacturers and sell our vitamins, food supplements and cosmetic products directly to pharmacies for better prices. We expect this expansion to increase our sales and profit margins as we vertically integrate into the supply chain.
Mr. Grigorios Siokas has over 15 years' experience in the pharmaceutical industry. Since 2014, he has served as the CEO and Operations Manager of SkyPharm SA a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company. SkyPharm SA is a pharmaceutical company located in Greece that mainly exports medicines from Greece to other European countries, such as Germany, England and Denmark. Prior to 2014, Mr. Siokas worked in a variety of sectors of the pharmaceutical industry mostly in the trading of medicines in Greece and other European countries. Additionally, since 2000 he has been a major shareholder in various pharmaceutical companies such as: Ippokratis Pharmaceuticals, (annual sales of over € 78 million); Thrakis Pharmaceuticals, (annual sales of over € 20 million); Thessalias Pharmaceuticals, (annual sales of over € 18 million); and ZED Pharma SA, (annual sales of over € 35 million). During the 1990s, Mr. Siokas founded and operated a marble wholesale import – export company in Germany. Within a period of two years he became the 4th biggest Greek marble importer in Germany. He also ran a Tour Operation with many different airlines, serving millions of customers. Mr. Grigorios Siokas has Bachelor’s Degree in Geology from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. He received a Master’s in management and finance from the University of Stuttgart and the University of Tuebigen, Germany and has served in the Greek Army.
Dimitrios Goulielmos joined us as CEO and Director on September 27, 2013. Since January 1991, he has been the principal attorney at the law firm of Goulielmos D. & Partners. He contributes to the Board the benefits of his legal, academic, and business background. Mr. Goulielmos is a fourth generation attorney. He received his law degree with Excellency from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 1988. He did post graduate studies for International transactions and Company law at Paris, France and at the LSE of London, England. In 2004 he was elected Vice-president of EUROPECHE, the organization that was established by the European Committee for the consultation and proposal of solutions in the sector of Community Fishery. The same year he was also elected as National representative of Hellas in the MEDISAMAK, the organization responsible for all Mediterranean countries, in the sector of Fishery. In year 2007 he was re-elected as Vice-president of EUROPECHE. He is a member of the social dialogue group of ACFA, of EU on labor affairs. He is an honorary lifetime member of International Who's Who Historical Society. Mr. Goulielmos has extensive experience in law, international deals, mergers, acquisitions, negotiations, international application of licenses, and real estate management which he will contribute to the Board.
Demetrios G. Demetriades
Mr. Demetrios G. Demetriades was elected as Secretary and Director of the Company. Since January 2003, Mr. Demetriades, age 48, has been Director of Highlander Spring Trading Ltd, a trading company. From November 2000 to December 2002 he was Marketing Director of Eurolink Securities Ltd which was involved in trading in the Cyprus Stock Exchange. From January 1995 to November 2000 he was Supervising Officer of Laiki Factors Ltd, a financing company. As a member of the board, Mr. Demetriades contributes the benefits of his trading, executive leadership and management experience.
John J. Hoidas
On November 18, 2016, the Board of Directors of Company appointed John J. Hoidas as a member of the Board of Directors. Mr. Hoidas is a registered broker dealer. Mr. Hoidas has served as a broker for the following firms during the corresponding periods.
09/2013 - Present UHLMANN INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT
09/2013 - Present UHLMANN PRICE SECURITIES, LLC
08/2008 - Present BREWER INVESTMENT GROUP CHICAGO, IL
11/2010 - 09/2013 KINGSBURY CAPITAL INVESTMENT ADVISORS
11/2010 - 09/2013 KINGSBURY CAPITAL LLC
11/2010 - 09/2013 SPENCER TRASK VENTURES
John J. Hoidas began working on the floor of the CME in 1989 as a runner and by 1995 started trading the S&P 500 and GSCI Index Futures for 9 years. He then moved to Wealth Management starting with American Express Financial Advisors which spun off to Ameriprise. He then moved to Kingsbury Capital in 2010 & began raising money for late stage pre-IPO companies such as Organovo (ONVO), Invivo Therapeutics (NVIV) and Matinas BioPharma (MTNB) to name a few. Currently John is the senior Vice President at Uhlmann Price, a firm he joined back in 2013. Since he joined Uhlmann Price Securities, he has raised capital for startups such as Video Gaming Co; Gazillion, Inc., Liquidspace, and Revel Systems.