Kazia Therapeutics Ltd (ASX:KZA) is developing anti-cancer drugs with its pipeline including two clinical-stage drug development candidates and the company’s progress will be outlined at this month’s Proactive CEO Sessions.
Chief executive officer James Garner will present to investors at the Sydney CEO Session on Monday, February 18 and at the Melbourne session on Tuesday, February 19.
Its lead candidate is GDC-0084, which entered a phase II clinical trial in March 2018, and Kazia expects initial data early this year followed by other data read-outs.
GDC-0084 is being developed for glioblastoma multiforme, the most common and most aggressive form of primary brain cancer.
Chemotherapy treatment temozolomide is only effective in one-third of patients.
Furthermore, the median survival rate is 12 to 15 months from diagnosis, meaning there is a demand in the market for superior treatments.
GDC-0084 value proposition
The GDC-0084 value proposition is considerable:
• Currently in Phase II clinical trials, under IND with US FDA, at leading US centese for brain cancer;
• Clear Phase I data, with favourable safety profile and indications of efficacy in late-stage GBM patients;
• Clear unmet medial need, with only existing therapy working in about 35% of patients;
• Defined >US$1 billion market potential for GBM alone;
• PI3K is a well-validated onco-target, with three existing therapies on market, but GDC0084 uniquely differentiated by ability to cross blood-brain barrier;
• Key inflection point due in 2H 2019, and additional indication investigator studies ongoing with updates in 2019; and
• High potential for accelerated approval by FDA.
Cantrixil in clinical trial
As well as GDC-0084, Kazia is developing Cantrixil to treat ovarian cancer which is currently in a phase I clinical trial in Australia and the United States.
Cantrixil is a third-generation benzopyran molecule with activity against cancer stem cells.
Kazia expects a read-out of maximum tolerated dose and safety from its phase I study in ovarian cancer in the current June half.
The Sydney-based oncology-focused biotechnology company is well-funded to see both programs through key data read-outs.
Register for the CEO Sessions today to find out more.
Also featuring at both sessions will be AdAlta Ltd (ASX:1AD), Argonaut Resources NL (ASX:ARE) and Peninsula Energy Ltd (ASX:PEN) while Theta Gold Mines Ltd (ASX:TGM) is on the Sydney program and Anatara Lifesciences Ltd (ASX:ANR) is on the Melbourne program.