The Toronto-based company said it is executing on its commercial growth with the Color Cannabis launch of Black Sugar Rose, the introduction of a vape and pre-roll line, as well as new nitrogen-infused packaging.
"Since the beginning of the year, we've made great strides in accelerating our product innovation, further enhancing the market appeal of our Color and Saturday cannabis brands, as well as expanding distribution to a discerning national consumer base that is ever evolving," said WeedMD Chief Commercial Officer Stephen Ng.
"With the introduction of an exclusive new strain, and new products, we are poised to continue delivering an unparalleled customer experience. We have the right team in place and are well-positioned to leverage our strengths and assets to accelerate our growth," he added.
The expanded Color Cannabis portfolio has new product strains and innovative packaging which includes:
- Black Sugar Rose: Lauded in the cannabis industry for its genetics bank, WeedMD is bringing to market Black Sugar Rose, a new Indica-dominant hybrid. The company has grown the strain over two test cycles with positive results. A cross of the Critical Mass and Black Domina strains, Black Sugar Rose is described as “sweet and fruity with floral undertones and a cannabinoid profile expected to be between 18% to 23% THC.” Color Cannabis Black Sugar Rose 3.5g flower will be available in the fall of 2020.
- Color Cannabis Vapes: The brand now includes 510 thread vape products, giving consumers another way to consume the company’s award-winning strains, starting in Fall 2020. The Color vape formulations are derived from Ghost Train Haze and the firm’s Pedro's Sweet Sativa, preserving their terpene-rich flavours.
- Color Cannabis Pre-Rolls: In response to consumer feedback, the company is introducing strain-specific pre-roll products available as two-packs of 0.35g pre-rolls. The size and unit count reflect consumer preference for single-session pre-rolls. These brand-trial inspired pre-rolls are made with finely milled Ghost Train Haze and Pedro's Sweet Sativa whole flower. The Color Cannabis pre-rolls will be available through provincial distributors and retail outlets starting in October this year.
- Nitrogen-Flushed Flower Pouches: With Canadian consumers expressing dissatisfaction with product bag appeal and packaging waste, WeedMD is transitioning its Color Cannabis whole flower products to nitrogen-flushed pouch packaging. Nitrogen reduces the degrading effects of the oxidation process -- the primary factor in cannabis dryness. Additionally, the transition from plastic jars and cartons will reduce the packaging waste. The newly packaged Color Cannabis flower products are expected to hit the market in late October.
- Cannabis 2.0 Innovation: WeedMD's adult-use strategy also leverages insights from its medical patients. This has spawned strategic partnerships with innovative cannabis lines such as Mary's Medicinals. The company is exclusively bringing Mary's premium award winning and innovative topicals and transdermal gels and patches to Canadian consumers when production kicks off later this year.
Separately, the company said it has expanded its marketing efforts with its national sales force. Having reached "the inflection point" for the next leg of growth, WeedMD said its adult-use brands are now managed by a “seasoned team with combined 40 years of experience” in regulated industries at top companies such as JUUL Labs, Rothmans Benson & Hedges, and PepsiCo.
WeedMD said it has developed a platform to link cannabis brands and retailers by allowing sales reps and retail store managers direct access to the full catalogue of Color Cannabis and Saturday promotional tools and product information.
With the upcoming outdoor harvest from its 27-acre field in the fall, WeedMD said it will be producing "additional products at its extraction hub in Aylmer using low-cost, terpene-rich, cannabinoid-high biomass."
WeedMD Inc is the parent company of WeedMD RX Inc and Starseed Medicinal Inc federally licensed producers of cannabis products for both the medical and adult-use markets. The company owns a 158-acre greenhouse, outdoor cultivation and processing facility in Strathroy, Ontario.
Contact the author Uttara Choudhury at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow her on Twitter: @UttaraProactive
-- Updates with details on retail efforts and outdoor harvest --